Faculty Bio: Maggie A. Wagner, PTA

Maggie A. Wagner, PTA

Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education

Courses

• Fundamentals of Physical Therapy
  • Professional Behaviors for the Allied Health Professional
  • Physical Therapist Assistant Clinical Practice
  • Internship for Physical Therapist Assistant

Teaching Philosophy

I teach my courses by blending both interactive and more traditional teaching/learning techniques. I often pose questions or offer examples and scenarios to engage students as we address those questions and analyze and interpret those examples.

I also encourage students to explore new ideas from many other perspectives. In other words, I believe that it is my responsibility as a teacher to use numerous ways to support student learning instead of just a single way. The techniques I employ are usually related to the kind of information we are learning as a class.

In any given class, I help students examine new content through a wide range of interactive and teacher-centered approaches. It depends on the content. Sometimes, lecture is the best choice. Sometimes open discussion is preferable. I incorporate a variety of approaches––PowerPoint-assisted lectures, question-and-answer class discussions, hands-on experiences, small group peer discussions, text reading with written questions, and/or free writing on relevant topics––to maximize student comprehension and learning.

Bio

Maggie Wagner earned her Physical Therapist Assistant degree at Central Penn College in 2007. She completed an affiliation at CPRS, where she worked mainly with orthopedic patients. She also completed an affiliation at Holy Spirit Hospital, where she worked with geriatric patients, intensive-care patients, and those who had undergone acute surgeries. After graduation, she worked for Select Physical Therapy where she concentrated on manual therapy techniques and mentored with a myofascial therapist. Wagner became the center coordinator of Clinical Education at Select and helped place PT and PTA students across Central Pa. Wagner joined the faculty of Central Penn College in 2017. She is currently working toward her bachelor's in Healthcare Management online at the college. “I have always been passionate about the care of my patients. Making sure that I gave them the best care possible to assist them in returning back to their previous function,” she says. “Now, I make sure that my students have that same passion, so that they can give the best possible care when they enter the profession.”

Wagner was born in Pen Argyl, Pa., (a small town above Allentown) and moved to the central region when she was five and has stayed ever since. She currently lives in Harrisburg with her husband Robert and son Reid. “I spend most of my time playing with my son and taking walks down to the fire station since he loves the firefighters currently,” she says.

In her spare time, after studying for her own courses, she loves sewing and photography. “I love creating things that I've found on Pinterest!” says Wagner.

Education

• Associate in Applied Science in Physical Therapy Assistant, Central Penn College, Summerdale, Pa.

Certifications

• Pennsylvania Licensed Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Indirect Supervision License
  • CPR Certified
  • Myofascial Release
  • Graston Technique

Ready to begin your story?

A few minutes can start a lifetime of success! Fill out our free online application now.

Request Info