Faculty Bio: Brant W. Ellsworth, Ph.D.

Brant W. Ellsworth, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Courses

• African-American History
  • American Civil War
  • Ethics
  • Global Conflict
  • United States and the World, to 1850
  • United States and the World, 1850 to Present
  • US History to 1865
  • US History since 1865

Teaching Philosophy

The adjective most students use to describe me as a teacher is “enthusiastic.” And while I hope my enthusiasm is infectious and leads others along a similar path of life-long learning, I have learned through experience that teaching is more than just a style. It is more than an emotional bond. It is more than the delivery of course content—though these are all important.

I believe my teaching is most effective when enthusiasm for learning is combined with an energy that focuses on the process of learning and thinking. I want to help students be able to read and think critically, to interpret complex ideas and to express their ideas clearly. The course topic is the platform that enables students to develop these vital skills.

Bio

Brant Ellsworth is an assistant professor of Interdisciplinary Humanities. He received a doctorate in American Studies with a dissertation that examined the role of Western mythology in the Americanization process of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He currently serves as the president of the Eastern American Studies Association and as editor of the Children's Folklore Review, an online journal that publishes research on all aspects of children's folklore.

Ellsworth is the proud father of three children. He is an avid reader; loves Thai food, kimchi and ice cream; and supports the San Antonio Spurs basketball team.

Education

• Doctorate of Philosophy in American Studies, Penn State University – Harrisburg, Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Masters of Arts in American Studies, Penn State University – Harrisburg, Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Bachelor of Arts, American Studies, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah

Certifications

• Certificate in Ethnography and Folklore – Penn State University – Harrisburg

Opportunities Start HERE

A few minutes can start a lifetime of success! Fill out our free online application now.

Apply Now
×
Request Info