Addressing Systemic Racism within Central Penn College and our Communities – Executive Order

As president of Central Penn College, I recognize the need for urgent action and reform on ending systemic racism in our country. There is no reason to delay further actions we are capable of taking immediately to do our part to deliver the justice that has long been denied to too many. As a woman serving in positions of leadership, I have, in my own life, experienced adversity, but the events of this month have also revealed to me exceptional privilege that I have taken for granted. It is this type of self-reflection and awareness that is demanded by all of us if we are going to deliver meaningful change.

Today is Juneteenth, the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States on June 19, 1865. Today I am issuing an Executive Order that establishes a presidential commission, reporting directly to my office. This presidential commission will have clear and specific actions to be taken to address systemic racism in any form within our college.

Systemic racism does not mean Central Penn College is made up of racist people; what it means is we have too often replicated inequities that we must end. Our work is urgent and challenging, will create personal conflict within ourselves and with others, but at all times I implore you to be respectful, listen to others, and be honest about the ways we can create lasting change together.

The action steps include:

• Re-instituting an annual diversity climate survey to all students, faculty and staff.
  • Mandating cultural competency and racial bias training for all faculty and staff.
  • Assessing and implementing strategies and practices that will engage and matriculate diverse candidates for employment at Central Penn.
  • Engaging in campus-wide assessment of departmental policies, practices, and procedures to promote a culture of equity, non-discrimination, and anti-harassment.
  • Embedding cultural competency outcomes in our curriculum, and
  • Promote diversity engagement and programming.

I look forward to working on these initiatives with all of you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Linda Fedrizzi-Williams
President, Central Penn College 

Opportunities Start HERE

A few minutes can start a lifetime of success! Fill out our free online application now.

Apply Now
×
Request Info