Nikki Marhefka, Ed.M., MT(ASCP), CMA(AAMA)
Program Director, Medical Assisting
- Essentials of Anatomy & Physiology I and II
- Clinical Techniques
- Medical Laboratory
- Medical Assisting Internship
My job as a teacher at the college level is to facilitate learning and be a mentor to students. I will provide a motivating classroom or online environment that includes engaging, student-centered activities so that students can use and apply the concepts learned in the course. By using this type of approach, students gain a deeper understanding of the material and are able to commit the concepts to long-term memory and use the information in their careers.
Professor Nikki Marhefka is the director of the Medical Assisting Program. She has designed and taught all of the administrative and clinical courses for both the on-ground and hybrid programs. In addition, she coordinates all the student practicums. She has been teaching medical assisting since 1995 and is contributing author for several medical laboratory textbooks. In 2009, she received the Todd A. Milano Faculty Excellence Award, which is given to one professor at the college annually.
“I believe in giving back to the community,” says Marhefka. She volunteers at the Shalom House shelter by preparing dinners for the residents. As the faculty advisor for Club M Ed, she enlists the help of student members in supporting the shelter and other organizations as well. She also volunteers with Junior Achievement to present financial literacy lessons to kindergarten students. She enjoys reading, gardening and rooting for Pittsburgh sports teams.
- Master in Education, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pa
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor
- Medical Technologist – American Society for Clinical Pathology
- Certified Medical Assistant – American Society for Clinical Pathology